Monday 13 February 2012

A sketch a day keeps the doctor away

Sketching, from personal experience and what I've read, is probably one of the healthiest things you could do. A doodle here and there, illegible scrawl that you've slowly drawn whilst on the phone, that scribble in your diary while you're waiting for something, it's all practice that add towards the real thing. Of course, doodles can always turn into something more than you thought it was. Sketching is a good cure to art block as well, I find. Even if it's just nonsense, it stretches the creative muscle.


These were my initial sketches of Oakley, which I did on a whim. This has now turned out to be something I look back to often for ideas. True, I have changed a few things, but I still use it as a size ratio... thing. I did draw over some screens of Xam'd to try and get a perspective, but I wouldn't consider that cheating since that's the kind of body type I wanted.


Usually, I'm super terrible at feet, as you can see in one of the next sketches. This one though, the lower half seemed to turn out better than the upper half, as well as that super dodge sketch up in the corner. I seem to use Disgaea covers to help with postures since they have such cool postures with the many gazillion characters on the front.




I did these at work since the store I was at was totally dead for many a length of time. That sketch of Errol seemed to turn out really well, but there is some disgusting crap in the corner up there in the right. Adeline, was a little too busty, but I redid her sketch later on tonight on the computer. I very much based her design off Lisbeth from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Lisbeth is such a strong character, I couldn't resist giving her a shot at my own. I'm going to be using this character in Atlantis Arising as an Atlantean who can spin web from her fingers. She's practically spiderman! I also redid Errol/Atom/Errick below as well. His design is based off two of my best male friends, Sam and Dom, in which he has Dom's punky personality and hair but Sam's Welsh heritage, though in some cases, Errol can be extremely polite and quiet, which isn't really Sam or Dom at all.


My favourite sketch-turned-awesome has to be my greatest painting so far, one I did after deciding to draw my crappy avatar from Gaia Online. I don't actually play that weird site, I just remembered how much time I used to spend there. But, it started as a sketch, then I slowly coloured it and it just... went really great. I wish I used more than one layer, otherwise I'd post the guide lines I used. Even if SAI had a feature where you could record as you draw! That would be cool.


Keep sketching away kiddies, you'll never know when you'll make something awesome.

Also, I've already broken 200 pageviews and on my way to 250. Thanks guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment