Tuesday 20 March 2012

University: Week 2

Of course, I just finished week 4 of University but I can be behind with my posts if I want to. d:

Week 2 was just a little bit different to week 1; we didn't do any 'actual' drawing at all. Instead we did this thing called "automatic drawing", which was simple putting pen to paper and randomly drawing. And we weren't drawing anything in particular either, it was just making lines. The exercise seemed a little (or a lot) stupid at first, but seriously, it really helps to relax out your arm and pretty much cures an art block or one of those 'my hand doesn't want me to draw' moments. I won't upload all ten automatic drawings I had to draw for homework, I don't want to break your bandwidth.

The first one on the left was one of the last ones I drew and one of my favourites. The one to the right was a .gif of all ten (I'm not sure why we had to put them in a .gif).



The next exercise was actually exceptionally hard; recreate rhythm, force and a sequence of harmony to discord in five panels. I'm not sure about you, but accurately representing something like rhythm or force, something you definitely cannot see (well, maybe force if you see someone pushing something and rhythm is you look at a bass drum but that's not my point). I struggled for like a million hours trying to get it but in the end I just scribbled something which I thought was force and rhythm.

Harmony to discord was easy though.




The last exercise we did was a homework one, and involved us to draw either water going down a plug or being interrupted by an object. I seriously looked at water for 20 seconds before returning to my room to draw these seven frames so I think I went pretty splendidly.


So, next week is more naked people. How exciting! We're doing life drawing for six weeks in a row apparently, so be thrilled to see some naked bodies. We haven't done any men since last week or today so it's been considerably less awkward than I thought it would be. I won't hold my breath for no males at all though.

And because you've all been do well behaved, here's a weird thing I did last night when I was supposed to be doing homework. You can figure out what it all means. Nick from my class says that he thinks it's a demon lesbian seducing and trying to persuade this girl to go to this island and the guy is the only sane one. And the dragon and the fox were gay too, I think. In actual fact, I'm pretty sure that this probably has something to do with a project I started ages ago called "Subject to Change", though me and my bud Sam never really did much with it except exchange a book back and forward for a few weeks. It was essentially a graphic novel in progress about a guy whose girlfriend falls into an eternal sleep and he has to save her by travelling to an underground Brisbane where demons live. And then when Nathan (that was his name) wakes her up, she dumps him for one of the demons and Nathan's caught in this confusion of where he belongs and junk.

It was weird, but I liked the idea.


Today's song; Watch the World - Box Car Racer

No comments:

Post a Comment